Re: [orca-list] Vim, is it usable for us?

Hi, Rastislav:

Vim has been my editor of choice always, but I only ever use it on the
console, and not in the graphical desktop, i.e. with Speakup (or perhaps
Fenrir) and not with Orca.

I do not have the problems you describe in the console. Frankly, I don't
know why one would want to use vim in a graphical environment where
there are tools like gedit.

My main problem using vim these days is my need to create content
with line breaks only at paragraph boundaries for colleagues who use
Microsoft Word. I have a few workarounds for this situation, but it's a
headache that makes me want to reconsider emacs after all these years.

Best,

Janina

Orca screen reader developers writes:
Hi folks,

during my Linux adventures, I couldn't have missed possibly one of the most
legendary Linux tools, Vim.

Vim's philosophy of writing and editing text with a language was completely
new for me, so I have quite enjoyed learning about it.

However, after reading some introductory texts and few experiments, I have
two questions:

* how usable is Vim with Orca? I have noticed various rather strange
behaviors like reading currently missed word when navigating character by
character or reading a line in somewhat shuffled order when I approach it
from the next line. H, J, K and L keys doesn't seem to work at all, I have
to use arrow keys, I don't know, whether this is function of Vim or Orca.

* Is Vim potentially useful for blind people? I can imagine, that when a
sighted person sees the whole layout of a page, he / she has an imagination
in his / her head what he / she wants to select, delete or replace, and thus
a way to express it wia a special language can be very handy. However, blind
people don't have this ability, we rather know our current position and drag
the selection from it, until we find the ending point, as our view is
limited to max. one line at once.

So, the question is, is the ability to define operations with a language
still that advantageous under these circumstances? On a graphical system,
would you use Vim over a traditional editor like Pluma, or something similar
with plugins, and if yes why?

Best regards

Rastislav