Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 08:54:33
From: Janina Sajka via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
To: Rich Morin <rdm cfcl com>
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] minimal boot-time setup for audio-based interaction?

If you're looking for a minimally functional setup, then I would say
Orca is out as it requires far more by way of dependencies than Speakup,
or especially Fenrir.

My view for new installations has long been to get the system
functioning with speech and/or braille plus secure networking. In the
case of a vps hosted machine we can, of course, also dispense with
native accessibility support and rely on a minimal install with ssh
access.

Once that's working, the rest can be installed as needed.

Best,

Janina

Rich Morin writes:
A recent thread (Which GUI environment works best with Orca?) is coming very close to a question I've
been pondering recently: How to define a minimal boot-time setup audio-based interaction?  That is, it
should allow a blind user to boot and operate any Linux system, as long as a keyboard and audio output
are available.

This would allow the user to get started on a freshly-installed system, make any desired configuration
changes, and then add packages such as BRLTTY, Emacspeak, etc.  By way of background, I'm mostly
interested in supporting this on hardware platforms such as the Raspberry Pi and commodity PCs.

I had thought that this would require a specifically console-based screen reader such as Fenrir, but it
sounds like Orca might actually suffice.  Could someone clarify this for me?  Going a bit deeper, what
other packages (e.g., ALSA, eSpeakNG) would be needed to produce a functional stack for audio-based
interaction?

Inquiring gnomes need to mine...

-r

Janina Sajka