Re: [orca-list] Which GUI environment works best with Orca?

Hi, John:

I'm not sure how to answer you on which gui is best. A lot of folks like
Mate, and they have good reasons. However, I'm using stock GNOME 3.

I do want to confirm for you that you can indeed boot into console mode
by default, and start the gui desktop on the console of your choice when
you're ready to do that. This is exactly what I do and wild horses won't
get me to leave that setup! <smile>

In a nutshell, my set up:

Boot opening a single console on tty1. I'm prompted to login, and I do
that.

next I check a few key settings, mainly that all my audio devices are
where I expect them to be. Lately this has meant booting with one USB
audio device disconnected, else it overwrites my PCI audio card.
Something I might debug some day--but it's not a priority. It's also not
a problem you're going to have.

Third, I use a script to launch multiple consoles for myself:

My command is:

sudo /root/bin/mycon

And here's the script, fyi:

cut here
#!/bin/bash
#We want bash under everything except  our graphical tty
for i in `seq 2 24`; do
        openvt -f -c $i -u janina
                sudo -u janina /home/janina/.bash_ttys
                done

                The deal with the .bash_ttys is that I test which tty
                and execute different settings depending on the console.
                Some of them run screen with multiple Ctrl-A terminal
                sessions. Yes, it's complex, but it's always the same
                and I'm never the one on the teleconference saying;
                "Oops, I lost my window." !

                Next I take one of my consoles for a shell login to my
                vps at Linode. I use a while true statement for that
                task. Helps me know should I be disconnected during the
                day, when that happened.

                Lastly, I start the gui on tty1 with a startx command
                that gives me Orca and all the gui goodness. My .xinitrc
                has:

                cut here
                export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
                export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge

                exec gnome-session
                #exec mate-session

                 I don't vouch that all those loads are strictly
                 necessary any longer. If some of them are now
                 inadvisable, I guess I'd like to hear about that from
                 other folks on list.

                 Good luck, John!

                 Best,

                 Janina

John J. Boyer writes:
Hello,

I'm using Debian Buster command-line only with Brltty and no speech. I use the command line as much as
possible and MicrosoftWindows 10 when I must use a GUI.
However I'm getting disgusted with the way Microsoft messes up my computers by pushing updates without
asking permission. Which GUI Environment would work best
with Debian Buster and Orca?

I would like to have the machine boot into the command line but to be able to start the GUI with a command
or shell script when it is needed.

Thanks,
John

--