Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 06:52:00
From: Rich Morin <rdm cfcl com>
To: Janina Sajka <janina rednote net>
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] minimal boot-time setup for audio-based interaction?

A recent thread (Which GUI environment works best with Orca?) is coming very close to a question I've been
pondering recently: How to define a minimal boot-time setup audio-based interaction?  That is, it should
allow a blind user to boot and operate any Linux system, as long as a keyboard and audio output are
available.

This would allow the user to get started on a freshly-installed system, make any desired configuration
changes, and then add packages such as BRLTTY, Emacspeak, etc.  By way of background, I'm mostly interested
in supporting this on hardware platforms such as the Raspberry Pi and commodity PCs.

I had thought that this would require a specifically console-based screen reader such as Fenrir, but it
sounds like Orca might actually suffice.  Could someone clarify this for me?  Going a bit deeper, what
other packages (e.g., ALSA, eSpeakNG) would be needed to produce a functional stack for audio-based
interaction?

Inquiring gnomes need to mine...

-r