Re: [orca-list] New window to write a new message in TB

Update: At this point Orca now speaks and brailles those focusable labels, including the one whose displayed text is ">>" but which has the name of "Other types of addressing fields".

The one thing which remains to be done is to have braille display the start of the label rather than the end. And sadly this looks like it may be a bigger change. Orca assumes that *focusable* labels have actual text, quite possibly with an actual cursor (e.g. which you could toggle on with something like F7). It also assumes that the name (if it exists) corresponds to the text. That's not the case for the ">>" label. And when that's not the case, Orca has to figure out something for the cursor offset, and it's going with the end. *Maybe* changing that to the beginning would quickly solve the problem; then again, maybe it would break something. It needs some thought. And solving this correctly requires more time than I have at the moment. If Hypra wants to take this on and submit a thoroughly-tested patch, that would be awesome. That said....

Mind you, this wouldn't be a problem seen by end users if the label's name weren't so ginormous. In fact, if the label were just "Other fields" I wouldn't have noticed the problem at all because "Other fields" would fit on the braille display. I only noticed this problem because "fields" was the only thing displayed, "Other types of addressing" had been scrolled off to the left.

Note that I'm not saying Thunderbird developers should change the label to work around this issue in Orca. We need to fix this properly in Orca. However, even for speech users "Other types of addressing fields" seems unnecessarily long to me. If you're in the addressing area of an email, isn't "addressing" kinda obvious? And what does "Other types of fields" tell you that "Other fields" fails to convey? So if the Thunderbird developers were to shorten their label for speech users, as a side effect we could happily put the braille issue on the back burner.

Or, again, they could change the role to something else. For instance, in the case of a push button, Orca doesn't assume that there is actual text in which you can place an actual cursor because that's not how push buttons work. :)

--joanie