Re: [orca-list] New window to write a new message in TB

Hey Jean-Philippe.

So there are two issues here:

1. The braille issue -- which I've just fixed. The only label which is currently not presented correctly, in speech or in braille -- is the the one whose label is ">>". This seems to have a description, but for some reason Orca's not falling back on it. I'll look into that next.

2. The what-is-an-interactive-component issue. This has nothing to do with Orca or what it says or brailles or whatever.

Labels typically, well, label other things. They normally just sit there. Take the "From", "To", and "Subject" labels as examples. Visually they are to the left of their associated text fields. They tell you what you are expected to put in those text fields. That is their job. Their only job IMHO. (Yes, if you click on them, they also move focus to their associated field. But my guess is that most users don't click on those labels, because why bother when the thing you want is just to the right and also clickable?)

Taking a totally wild guess, which may be completely wrong: They are choosing to make Cc and Bcc interactive labels because visually it looks "cleaner". There's no "icky" underline or color change that would come from a link. There's no "icky" button border. And sighted users will see "Cc" and think "I want a Cc" and they'll click on it. And it works because they have click handlers. The same thing happened on the web with authors not using things like the button element or the link element and putting click handlers on divs and spans. That sort of thing is why we have ARIA: To communicate to assistive technologies what, functionally, that div or span is. Because if it acts like a button, being told it's a button is better than being told it's "clickable".

This is why I stated in my original reply to you "That said, an accessible role of label doesn't seem ideal." Emphasis on "accessible role". Under the hood they can do whatever they want to make it pretty. But perhaps they should consider a different role?

Related: When you're told by Orca it's a "label", how do you know what key to press? If it's a link, Enter should work. If it's a button, Space should work. Roles give hints about how to interact with the object in question.

Related #2: On these labels, Enter works but Space doesn't. Even if they don't change the role, perhaps they should consider also supporting Space being pressed when the label has focus. That reduces the need for keyboard users -- whether they use Orca or not -- to play the game of "guess that keystroke."

Hope this helps clarify things. I'm going back to working on their <strike>silly</strike> pretty ">>" label now. ;)

--joanie