Re: [orca-list] Utilitary TTS for orca

I first kill Orca and then restart speech-dispatcher

On Ubuntu I do sudo service speech-dispatcher restart

Then start Orca and it goes fine.

On 21/01/20 8:33 pm, John G Heim wrote:
I tried "killall speech-dispatcher". It didn't work. I have had an alias defined for like a decade to do "kill -9 speech-dispatcher". I think the dash 9 is necessary. I just couldn't remember the alias last time I lost speech or what it did. After rebooting the second time, I took the time to go through my bashrc and remind myself of the alias. So I'll try kill dash nine next time it happens.

I have both a braille display and a hardware speech synth. So I can do stuff in the GUI even if speech fails. And I can switch to a terminal window and use speakup even if orca is broken. So I ought to be able to pin the problem down if I just take the time to do it.