[orca-list] Pointers on starting orca development contributions?

So, I convinced myself to try to add the pitch based indentation tones feature to orca.  I’m not finding much help via google on getting started.  I found the GitLab repository, checked it how, and located the bare skeleton of a plan on how to do it.  common-keyboard.py stands out as a place to start my hunt for the proper place.  I noticed a sound-generator class and so I think a simple prototype of beeping a constant tone rather than speaking the number of spaces is a good starting point.

The thing I would really like to know is how to run orca from a source tree confidently knowing it’s not reaching into my distro’s version (MATE 20.10, orca 3.38.0).  I’ve not tried to compile it yet but I’m hoping getting the dev libraries from the distro’s orca will suffice.

Any pointers?

                Dan