Re: [orca-list] making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin

I messed around with MaryTTS some years back. I even wrote a little interface at one point that would allow the generic sd module to talk through it. But I found it to be very cumbersome on most hardware, as it had to talk to MaryTTS by sending an http request to the speech synthesizer and playing the wav output that was returned. I also have found Java to be very very slow overall. There was also a strange tendency for MaryTTS voices to suddenly raise their pitch to a very squeaky high, although I didn't hear many of the English voices do that. I did hear bdl get rather tinny and oldschool at random times however, sounding autotuned or like packet loss was occurring in an extreme low-bitrate speech recording.

Perhaps work could be done to integrate the already existing RHVoice module into sd. I use RHVoice here every day all the time, and it sounds smoother and runs with less resources than MaryTTS. It also doesn't get tinny or scratchy at random times. I'm not fully sure, but I don't think new voices require proprietary tools in order to train them either, though I could be wrong about that. In any case, have a look at the excellent work over at

https://github.com/olga-yakovleva/rhvoice

~Kyle