Re: [orca-list] Announcing Speech Switch: making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin

Working together is a fair point.  I would prefer that.  Samuel, I very much appreciate your contributions over the years!  It would be a terrible loss to Linux a11y if you stopped.  I appologize for offending you.

There is a problem in Speech Dispatcher.  I think it is fixable, though.  Specifically, modules are required to render speech through the sound system, rather than generating speech samples.  This greatly complicates them, and makes these binarys specific to not only the distro, but the distro version.  No speech synth for Linux I know of is incapable of returning speech spamples rather than playing them.

I'll send you an off-list email showing how I've simplified the modules.  If folks want to look, here's my Espeak module vs the one in Speech Dispatcher.

Bill

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Samuel Thibault via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:
Rastislav Kish via orca-list, le mer. 02 déc. 2020 18:59:14 +0000, a ecrit:
> What's totally understandable, since there are no resources to teach the proper
> way to do it.

Yes, that's the point. I don't think we can afford splitting
our efforts.  We can work together.  It takes time to establish
communication, but on mid/long-term it pays off.

Samuel