Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu, Mint and there flavors. What's the difference between all of them?

Hello Daniel,

To simplify: see a Linux distribution as an operating system which runs on your computer. Windows, mac and Ubuntu run on your computer.

On Windows and mac you've no choice so there is one desktop environment for them. On Linux, you've the choice between multiple desktop environment. A desktop environment is a set of software which allows you to do the simple things of your computer like launching an application, going to the desktop, go to the wifie network and much more. On GNOME, Mate or Cinnamon the way to launch application and to access the wifi network.

For example on the Mate desktop environment you've (it's mostly the same on other one):
All those pieces of software constitutes what we call a desktop environment like Windows comes bundle with a bunch of software by default.

An Ubuntu flavour is the base OS with a desktop environment. Ubuntu Mate comes with all the Mate applications, Xubuntu comes with the XFCE desktop environment.

What is the relationship between Debian, Ubuntu and Mint?

Don't panic if every concepts are not easy to digest at first. I wouldn't be able to answer this question ten years ago.

Hope that helps.