[orca-list] Ubuntu, Mint and there flavors. What's the difference between all of them?

Hello all

Since I am new to Linux, I have been trying to get my head around something that I hope you good folks could explain in order that I can understand further.

The first thing, Ubuntu VS Mint. What’s the difference? Are these what they call distros?

Secondly, What’s the difference between the families of: Ubuntu and Mint?  mint-cinnamon, mint-mate, and mint. Also ubuntu and ubuntu-mate. Are these still called distros? Or are they different flavors now. If anyone could explain using Windows or Mac as a comparison, I think that will make a whole lot more sense to me.

Finally, when it all comes down to it, with all the above choices, is it purely a visual / sighted thing and not blindness related at all?

Sorry for the long post but I would like to understand this.

With kind regards

Daniel