Re: [orca-list] Making postmarketOS blind-accessible

On Aug 20, 2020, at 04:26, Peter Vágner <pvagner pvagner tk> wrote:

... I think it would be awesome to get alpine linux with speakup or fenrir to work. Then other things might
be added as needed. I'd say we need to create speech and braille enabled image for Alpine linux similar to
what talking arch is for arch linux. ...

We *need* touch screen access on linux before we can seriously consider that as a viable platform.

Otherwise we might just use our single board computers e.g. pine 64, raspberry pi... whatever with external
accessories.

Although I'm interested in the possibility of making Braille Screen Input work on Linux-based cell phones,
this isn't a short-term goal.  And, given that none of the touch-based interfaces on Linux cell phones seem
to pay any attention to blind accessibility, that's also going to be a slog.

That said, I think that a cell phone, ear buds, and a portable keyboard could provide a "viable platform", at
least for the near term.  Having an economical, instant-on, portable computing and communication device could
be a real boon to folks who are willing to live with some limitations.

-r