Re: [orca-list] suggestion for variants voice in orca

Hello Criss,

espak-bg was a typo, I meant espeak-ng, sorry.

Orca can only show the voices that speech-dispatcher lists. So it is
impossible that orca lists the variants if speech-dispatcher doesn't.

I just had a look at the file espeak-ng.conf in the package
speech-dispatcher_0.9.1-4_amd64.deb that ships it in Ubuntu mate 20.04.

Indeed it includes:
EspeakListVoiceVariants 0

But this is the choice of the packager, So this issue has nothing not
with Orca, but should be brought to the attention of the packager of
speech-dispatcher for Ubuntu 20.04.

This being said, I can understand this choice as not everybody wants to
have all the variants listed. That a user needs to edit a configuration
file to get a specific feature doesn't look like an issue to me, as long
as the information about this setting is available.

This being said in Slint that I maintain these variants are listed by
default. But I don't know if someone uses them. Not me, as I widely
prefer the mbrola ones and only uses orca for testing anyway. <smile>

Bests regards,

Didier