[orca-list] Programatically detecting if Orca is running

Hey folks,

I'm working on a game engine accessibility project that is essentially a screen reader running inside the engine. I'd like to enable my screen reader if I've detected that another is running. I know how to do this under Windows via Tolk, Android via accessibility APIs, but I'm not sure how to do this for Orca. Is there any way to detect whether Orca is running, or even better, if the user has indicated to GNOME/KDE that they'd like the screen reader active?

If there isn't an easy way, I'll probably just check for the presence of the various magical environment variables we've almost certainly got set to get things running, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

And yes, I know I can technically check running processes, but that's hacky and I'd rather not. :)

Thanks.