Re: [orca-list] Braille Displays

hi

I don't know much about the orbit, but from what I remember reading about it they made no mention of linux compatibility, only windows and iPhone and I think, maybe android compatibility which means it probably works with linux if brltty supports it, but that's not a guarantee. Are you no longer able to use your braille sense as a display? I forget how many cells it has, isn't it 18? I don't know a thing about the smart beetle but I do know that it does work with NVDA and orca, although I believe NVDA has to have a special proprietary driver for it, although I'm not positive. I believe the braille display drivers of NVDA are all proprietary except for the ones the NVDA guys wrote themselves and the ones brltty supports. So that's more accurately put as, the company provided braille display drivers are proprietary. I think, I'm not positive about that. Which is why NVDA is gpl2 and ... off topic. If the orbit display works with linux and orca, I'd go with that, because it's the cheapest brand new display you'll probably find. If you don't mind buying used tech, you can usually get a good discount on places like blind bargains, maxiAids and ... oh there's another one ... blind mice I think it is? They usually have good sales on blind tech.

hth

Thanks

Kendell Clark