Re: [orca-list] is it possible to boot latest Ubuntu by using SDC cart?

Hello,

I can't answer specifically for Ubuntu or Debian, but will provide some generic information.

1. Grub2 should be able to install on a SD card, provided that the installer  knows about the naming scheme
of the device.
I case of SD card is is something like /dev/mmcblk<number> so you'd just write e.g. grub-install
/dev/mmbcblk0 from an installed system

Similarly the ESP should be a partition of the SD card, like e.g. mmcblk0p1.
Provided that this partition be mounted as /boot/efi in the to-be-installed system, and its root partition be
mounted as /mnt during installation, you could install grub with a command like:
chroot /mnt grub-install --target=x86_64-efi /dev/mmcblk0
For this to work you need to have mounted the ESP e.g. /dev/mmcblk0p1 as /mnt/boot/efi and bind mounted /dev
/proc and /sys as /mnt/dev, /mnt/proc and /mnt/sys respectively.

If you intend to make this system "portable" (in case you use an USB card reader), use also the option
--removable and --no-nvram of grub-install.

I know nothing about petitboot.

About the support by the kernel of an eMMC device, you will need at least the mmc, mmc_block and mmc_core
drivers either built in the kernel or shipped in an initrd as modules.

Whether this condition be met depends on how the kernel you install has been configured.

I strongly advise against using an ext file system because, yes, your device will then quickly wear out, even
with ext2 that doesn't write a journal on the device

The best file system for SD card (and USB sticks) is F2FS, but is not provided in the default grub 2.02 (will
be in grub2 2.04). however maybe the grub provided by your distribution provides it.

You can check looking in /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi: if there is file named f2fs.module there, the answer is
yes.

HTH.

Best,

Didier