Re: [orca-list] Audio Production with Orca: Incredibly! In? credibly! interested for comments!

I hadn't heard of nama, but it looks interesting.

I can report that ecasound is both mature and very accessible, because
it's a command line tool. I've used it, though I do not claim expertise
in it. It's not trivial to learn, which is why Julien created nama, I
guess. Makes sense to me.

There's also a lot that can be accomplished with sox on the command
line.

I keep hoping Rosegarden may provide us midi sequencer access, but I
guess it isn't quite there yet, either.

, Unequivocally, if you're after a full DAW, Linux ain't your platform.

PS: Planet CCRMA is a Fedora based set of music making tools, originally
a spin of Fedora, now more tightly integrated into the Fedora platform.

I'm not certain because I moved from Fedora to Arch a few years ago, I
believe they still build Linux kernels optimized for low latency audio
work, as well as various apps for working with various aspects of audio
and music-making:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Note that Speakup has never been successfully compiled agaist the CCRMA
kernel source, afaik, but I believe a CCRMA kernel should work with
Fenrir.

If, on the other hand, you're interested in algorithmic music making,
look at csound.

In other words, there are things you can do accessibly on Linux, but
usually not in the graphical desktop. And, the things you can accomplish
in Linux aren't the usual pop music production kinds of tasks associated
with using a DAW.

That shouldn't stop you, of course. It's a question of what aspect of
music making you want to develop as your expertise. If you look at the
production credits on music releases, even on audio book releases,
you'll see multiple studios credited in the process. The studios and
engineers that recorded, often aren't the same people who mixed, even in
audio books.

I've mentioned algorithmic music making. There's also the area of
instrument synthesis, bot the creation, editing, and storage
(librarianship) of sound fonts, along with hooking them up to keyboards,
guitars, or other controllers for live, or recording work. Yet an
entirely different area of expertise and applications.

Ultimately, once you decide what you want to focus on in music making,
you may next need to soncider whether your loyalty is to music making or
to a particular computing platform.

PPS: If you say open source is your loyalty, these days you also have to
consider Mac and Windows, as those folks increasingly adopting open
source on those platforms, sometimes all the way up to the corporate
headquarters.

Good luck!

Janina

Orca screen reader developers writes:
Hello,

I am afraid there is nothing as usefull as Reaper, Adobe Audition,
Soundforge are on windows or protools is on mac for linux I am afraid.
There is an attempt to port reaper to linux, however accessibility is not
implemented there. Porting osara would require rewriting much out of it as
on windows it's dependant on windows specific APIs.
Audacity is good however again accessibility is not as good as it's on
windows because underlying toolkit wx-gtk is not completelly accessible on
linux.
Rosegarden is a QT5 based app. Main window is accessible so are the menus,
however I either need help when trying to make some good use out of it or
the accessibility is not sufficient.

What I haven't looked in details at yet is nama. A text mode and graphical
DAW Jeanette and perhaps some other blind people are able to make some
really good use of.
See here for the starting point... http://juliencoder.de/nama/index.html

Another great source of material for music producers might be this guide for
KXStudio. I think that's a distribution suitable for those who are taking
audio production seriously on linux:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual . I don't think there is
something accessibility related though.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 6. 2. 2019 o 2:29 Christopher Gilland via orca-list napísal(a):
I'm definitely familiar on Windows with things like Reaper, and such,
and on the mac, my prefered platform right now for audio production
work, there's ProTools, but I'm curious,

On Linux, I obviously know about audasity, which, don't get me wrong, is
OK, but I'm finding it to not give all the feature sets I'm needing. As
least not in a way I can grasp.

A while back, I heard of a package for Linux, which is in the default
sources.list apt repo called Rosegarden, but I've admittedly back in the
days not had a huge amount of luck with it.

I was curious if we have any audio gooroos on this list who may have
either tried it, or something there similar.

Here are basically the main things I'd require of a good DAW like this
one, if it be doable accessibly with this, or anything else.

1. Must, and I repeat with no exceptions, be able to multi-track both
audio as well as midi with virtual instruments/soundfonts, either/or

2. Have various FX for both midi and audio such as EQ, compression,
reverb/delay, etc, as well as ways to tweak their settings.

3. Ways to create, of sort, auxiliary input send/receive busses

4. Must, and I repeat, absolutely must! have accessible ways to edit
audio fully from deleting, copying/cutting, pasting, ripple deleting,
etc..

5. Definitely not a requirement, but a bonus would be to have write,
touch, and latch automation abilities to audio tracks

6. Ways to read peek meters, and their active DB input levels to insure
no clipping

7. Again, not a requirement, but very last and not  least, if not
automatic, at least manual fading abilities on a track per track basis,
or over the entire master fader. Preferably saw, square, and lennier
shapes..

I know for a fact that Rosegarden has all of this, but like I said, I'm
not having much luck with it and Orca. If anyone has, and maybe can give
some pointers, it would be great!

Feel free to write off list if needed.

clgilland07 gmail com

Chris.