Re: [orca-list] Playing dvds in Ubuntu mate

I am only just figureing this stuff out myself. The first thing I'd suggest is using mplayer at the command line until you're sure everything works. That way you can get error messages printed on the screen. I suspect your problem is with the digital rights management. To play a dvd, I had to install a css library. I had to google this just now but css stands for Content Scramble System. On my debian system, I had to do this (as root):

# apt-get install libdvd-pkg
# dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

I just finished writing a script to rip the audio on my set of Deep Space 9 dvds. You might be able to adapt it for your Dr. Who dvds. You can access the script here:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/ds9rip

It uses mplayer to rip the audio to aac format and then ffmpeg to convert the aac audio to mp3. So you would have to install mplayer and ffmpeg. I have another script that adds mp3 tags to the mp3 files, title, date, etc. Then I have a 3rd script that generates a podcast feed from the audio files. I have it podcasting Deep Space 9 episodes to me on the 25th anniversary of their original broadcast date. Pretty cool, huh?

Email me off list if you want more info about the podcast.

it to be usable by others.