[orca-list] Playing dvds in Ubuntu mate

How do I play DVDs in Ubuntu Mate?
The DVD is an original copy because it is a BBC classic Doctor Who, I have VLC on my laptop and I am sure I specified all packages to be installed when I was helped through the installation. I insert the DVD, I am read a message by Orca that a DVD has been detected, I okay the screen which launches VLC Media Player, the DVD sound like it is trying to read and no movie gets played. I hit space with the same result, I try to open the menus with ALT F10 I think but I can't access the menus that way. I think at least in stock Ubuntu there was something you had to install from the terminal, libdvd or something but I am not sure if this package is needed in Ubuntu Mate and if it is, I can't remember the exact name of it. Orca gives me no error message as to whether I am missing any packages or video codecs.