Re: [orca-list] Orca, login screens and a curious Vbox issue

Did you try:

Super+Alt+S

Op 09-05-18 om 18:30 schreef Jace Kattalakis:
Okay list here's something I'm confused about.

Got 18.04 on my laptop. I decided to play with the ninimal install in Virtualbox and set it to need my password to log in. I was amused when Orca spoke at the login screen. So I turned off autologin on my physica machine. Aaaaaaaand silence.

Do I need to do a reinstall and at install time hit require password to log in? I've been meaning to put the minimum install on here anyhow but I was curious why speech works in Virtualbox with the same package versions, but doesn't work on my physical machine which is hosting the virtualbox.

Here's how I set it up.

1. Installed 18.04 beta2 at the time and updated it on my physical machine

2. sudo apt-get install virtualbox and made the virtual machine with default settings and installed 18.04 released version with Orca on at boot menu, booted to live session in a virtual machine, minimal install, restarted and got speech at login screen. I shut down the VM and tried it on my physical machine.

Editing lightdm.conf didn't get me anywhere with Orca, so I'm thinkingĀ  areinstall's in order. On the plus side if Storm reads this, hats off to that strychnine script, works like a charm under virtualbox.

So, what did I do wrong on my physical machine exactly? I'm now curious why the virtual machine speaks at login screen when the machine's powered on, and theĀ  physical laptop doesn't speak. Is it down to enabling auto login on the physical laptop at install time?

Jace