[orca-list] Labeling spin/combo buttons

Posted about this to gnome-accessibility yesterday but didn't get a
response, and I don't know if this is my issue or Orca's.

I'm hacking on the CHIRP amateur radio programming software. CHIRP
programatically creates settings screens for supported radios, creating
text labels and settings-specific widgets. Unfortunately, it doesn't
associate these widgets with their respective labels.

I'm trying to learn GTK development. After spending a while googling how
to associate a widget with its label, I learned that GTK does this via
accessible names on the widget. Is that accurate?

If so, how do I set an accessible name/label for
spinbuttons/combobuttons? My code works fine for checkboxes and text
entries. It fails with spin/combo buttons, though. By "fails" I mean
that, despite getting the correct label value, and setting the
accessible name on the widget, Orca doesn't speak the label before the
widget's value.

Does Orca use a different mechanism for labeling spin/combo buttons? Or
is this an Orca issue? Happy to send a debug.out if this isn't
programmer error on my end.

Thanks.