Re: [orca-list] Confession time: My speech lag may be due to my use of the sound card, exclusively

Possibly.

You could also try killing Speakup before launching the graphical
desktop. Cumbersome, but it might be instructive.

You might also try using the libao drivers for Speech-Dispatcher and
Orca. there's a configuration option for this in Speech-Dispatcher.

If you do get a separate audio interface, a cheap USB stick should do
the trick nicely. These are commonly available. I have a handful from
C-Media that cost me under $15 USD each. I've even had the output of the
C-Media fed back into the input of my builtin card in order to have
audio on the Laptop
s speakers from both environments, though I haven't tried this recently.
Currently my laptop does both environments using the builtin card.

hth

Janina

Daniel Collins writes:
Folks,

                When I was a Speakup user, I relied exclusively on my laptop
sound card to provide speech.  There was no problem.  When I installed Orca,
I assumed that I could - as per my prior experience - rely only on my laptop
sound card to provide speech.  But there is a problem: when I press a key -
any key - there is a half second or more delay before Orca enunciates it.  I
have tried several fixes - none has worked and the time delay is still
there.  Will I need to buy a separate speech synthesizer?  If so, which?
Thanks.

V/R,

Daniel J. Collins