[orca-list] Confession time: My speech lag may be due to my use of the sound card, exclusively

Folks,

                When I was a Speakup user, I relied exclusively on my laptop sound card to provide speech.  There was no problem.  When I installed Orca, I assumed that I could – as per my prior experience – rely only on my laptop sound card to provide speech.  But there is a problem: when I press a key – any key – there is a half second or more delay before Orca enunciates it.  I have tried several fixes – none has worked and the time delay is still there.  Will I need to buy a separate speech synthesizer?  If so, which?  Thanks.

V/R,

Daniel J. Collins