Re: [orca-list] Screen Reader Preferences GUI very slow if EspeakListVoiceVariant is set to 1 (was:Re: other tts with orca)

Hello,

Le 04/07/2018 à 13:09, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
Joanmarie Diggs, le dim. 01 juil. 2018 14:36:13 -0400, a ecrit:
Combo boxes were never meant to have that many objects in them. If there
is API in speech-dispatcher to get the variants associated with a given
voice, then Orca's preferences should be modified to use it. If there's
not, such API should be added to speech-dispatcher (and then Orca's
preferences should be modified to use it).

Actually there is, but it is currently used by the espeak* modules to
put the country, and the variant only shows up in the name with a +.

I'd say we should introduce a country field, so that espeak* modules can
really put the variant name into the variant field.

You mean in the Orca settings GUI, right?

I agree. Then this field would include what's before the +, and
the (new) variant field all that's after the + as in e.g. the
"voices.txt" attached file (lines copied with beginning removed from
speech-dispatcher.log)

EDIT: instead of attaching the file I uploaded it here:
http://www.slint.fr/testing/misc/voices.txt
As it's too big as an attachment for this list.

There are 4700 variants so one can understand that processing them takes
some time!

Didier

PS To be picky "locale" would be more accurate than "country" for the
first field, although maybe not well understood by some users.

The naming is up to Joanie, anyway

To be clear, in my understanding this field would replace the "Person"
field, rather than be added.