Re: [orca-list] planning to return

This is comming to you via Arch, right now using pure alsa, but.....
I did have a bit of trouble a few weeks ago which came in the middle of some sound system trouble.
I was using the same dmix set-up I have used on arch most of the last few years, and then I started
experimemnting with some pulse audio recording schemes
to capture audio from an app on the fly, e.g. I am  listening to radio or some other realtime stream, hear
something I want to record, and fire up a
script to record it.
I had several ugly hard shutdowns due to popwer failure, a charger coming unplugged unbeknownst to me, etc. I
at first thought my speech-dispatcher issues
were someting sound related, but most of the trouble was SD side.
I have gone back and forth a couple of times over the years between speech-dispatcher-git fromthe AUR and the
standard s-d pkg, bvut since I use a voice or
two besides espeak from time to time usually run the sd-git version. I had to deal with a couple of typos and
another issue that was syntax related, so
being over tired just backed up all my configuration files and reinstalled speech-dispatcher from scratch,
and all was well. I either have to go dmix, or
change a few settings and gopure pulse since I use speakup more than orca most days to be able to do
everything like I did a monthago, but for the record I
ran orca with pulse to make sure that worked before going back to my current all alsa setup. Libao worked as
well before my trouble, but I don't remember if
I tried it since reinstalling SD.
Oh, I had an orca issue as well at the same time caused by leftovers from the orca plug-in system, sops, in
my orca-customizations file, so it was a
dramatic/traumatic day dealing with this stuff at the same time I was dealing with problems on a couple other
boxes.
At the end of the day Linux was all fixable, on the other hand, my only windows installation will need an
installation disk  I don't have to get it working
again, and of course that will not talk when ever I can borrow one, so I'll need to borrow eyes as well,
don't give up on Linux just because you need to do
something on windows for a bit. To go even more OT, AIM went dark last month, and thatwas just about the only
app that I looked forward to using  on
the rare occasion  I booted in to windows.
BTW, I will  be going back to using pulse some at least soon, but wanted to try a few things with alsa alone
first.
The pulse recording script was really handy, and with a few more tweaksmight be worth packaging up with an
optional gui.
Since I use a very large buffer with mplayer I can usually rewind  and fast forward back and  forth through
somewhere between a half an hour to as much as
2-3 hours assuming the stream has been playing for that long of course. Actually, it is delicate dealing with
trying to rewind through near buffer size
chunks of stream, but going back a minute or five to get back to  the beginning of some segment I want to
record is not usually any trouble at all.
I will take a look at the machine I have running a manjaro based distro in a few days just in case there is
something different going on there if you remind
me, but at least on a straight arch box you should have all the speech you can  want.
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 06:21:17PM -0600

   Hi

   Wow, you’ve most definitely done your homework! You’ve checked all the
   boxes I would’ve done. You made the display managers speak, and I don’t
   know if I could have managed that. I was about to suggest a mate image. I
   have no objection to compiz as long as it’s accessible, and you wouldn’t
   include it if it weren’t, so fantastic job! I’ve gotta try it, I’ve never
   run a slack based distro. So the iso does speak when installed? If that’s
   the case, then either there is no bug in speech dispatcher and orca, or
   the bug is limited to just antergos and arch based distros. I can’t wait
   to try the iso out when you release it. I’ll probably also subscribe to
   twitter feeds and email lists, if there are any.

   Thanks

   Kendell Clark

   sent from my windows ultrabook