Re: [orca-list] No sound with GUI under Debian stable (MATE) under VBox 5.27+

Le 28/02/2018 à 11:23, Keith Barrett a écrit :

On 28/02/18 10:03, Didier Spaier wrote:
Le 28/02/2018 à 10:54, Keith Barrett a écrit :

On 28/02/18 09:35, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
Le 27/02/2018 à 23:27, James a écrit :
I have  tried to ensure that Orca is running and according to the Debian manual,  if installed with
Speakup, Orca should start when the GUI loads. Are there different sound drivers for the CLI and GUI?

No, it's a conflict between speakup and Orca. You should disable speakup at startup to avoid this issue.
Well, that will not really help if you want to use speakup and orca.
Another option is to remove pulseaudio but be aware that may cause problems in later versions of firefox
so you need to decide which is most important to you.

Or set speech-dispatcher to rely on alsa instead of pulseaudio, still having firefox using pulseaudio.

This works here.
Really, can you tell me how you did that because I find that it works until pulse plays an audio stream in
firefox then alsa does not seem to be able to access the sound device any more?

Sure.

1) Don't redirect alsa to pulseaudio.
For that, in case you have in /etc/sound.conf these two lines:
pcm.default pulse
ctl.default pulse
Commment them out, like this:
#pcm.default pulse
#ctl.default pulse

2) Politely ask pulseaudio to share the mixer with its siblings.
For that, include i /etc/pulse/default.pa these two lines:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
And comment out conflicting settings, case occurring.

Also, with these settings both alsamixer and pavucontrol can then be used.

Greetings

Didier