[orca-list] No sound with GUI under Debian stable (MATE) under VBox 5.27+

Hi folks,

I am still getting no sound with Debian 9 (MATE) under Virtual Box. To be exact, the latest test build of VBox I get speech from Speak Up at bootup if I switch to a terminal. But no sound in the GUI. If however I run the current stable version of VBox, 5.26 I get distorted  speech output with Speakup, hence the testing version of VBox.

I have  tried to ensure that Orca is running and according to the Debian manual,  if installed with Speakup, Orca should start when the GUI loads. Are there different sound drivers for the CLI and GUI?

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Best wishes
James