Re: [orca-list] Did something change on the Fedora ISOs?

I can't categorically say from experience, because I have not worked
directly with a F27 machine. However, I'd be very surprised if F27
didn't support sound. Your problem is almost certainly something
particular.

There can be many, many particular reasons. Over the years I've
personally adopted a series of steps to help me figure out where the
difficulty lies--because I've encountered one difficulty or another from
time to time.

Here are some of my specific markers which also help me debug when
there's an issue ...

1.)     I have grub2 play a sound.

2.)     I ask my rc.local to aplay a wav file. Yes, I understand
rc.local is deprecated--but I'm still able to maintain an rc.local
primarily for this reason. I'm sure I could put some work in to do this
differently--I just haven't.

3.)     I also ask my rc.local to beep the system speaker, i.e. issue a
Ctrl-G.

4.)     I do not auto boot to the desktop. I start with a console login.
Over the years this has helped me debug sound issues, but far more
frequently it has helped me debug network connectivity issues in various
hotels around the planet.

5.)     I ask my .profile file to aplay a wav file--so I know my user
has sound access. So, if I don't get speech from my console session, I
have a clue of where to look for the issue. BTW: I keep this file easily
accessible in my $HOME with a sufficiently unique name that I can always
type aplay G and press tab for bash to complete the filename. This also
helps me should I need to test a different sound device with a command
like:

        aplay -D plughw:3 G {and press TAB then ENTER}

6.)     I also look for beep on backspace at the bash prompt after tty
login. I will expect all this functionality duplicated in the GUI
desktop--which comes next.

7.)     Only once 1-6 are function do I access the graphical desktop.If
there's a problem there, at least I have tools available to get at the
issue, e.g. by using Ctrl+Alt+F2 to access the console and look at the
pids that have been launched with 'ps -t tty1' or by doing Alt+F2 from
the gui environment and launching gnome-terminal followed by an aplay as
in #5 above.

8.)     I take care that I have the ability, as much as possible, to ssh
into my machine from another machine should any of the above be
nunfunctional. Clearly, this isn't available to me when I travel, but
it's a key component of my home setup. If 2 above never happens, ssh is
my first recourse for problem solving.

9.)     If 8 doesn't work, I try assuming the problem is sufficiently
fundamental that I'm probably sitting at a "Give root password for
system maintanance" prompt and enter the root password. Yes, this has
happened to me more than once, and more than twice. Fortunately, 6 above
is extremely useful in this situation. If 6 works, I know to load
console speech by hand--or sometimes to start networking by hand so that
I can use 8.

Each of these strategies has proven invaluable to me over the years, so
I offer them to you in hopes they may assist you as well.

Best,

Janina

Nolan Darilek writes:
I can't seem to get sound, and thus Orca, running on Fedora 27 ISOs. Tried
with both F27 Workstation and F27 Atomic Workstation. Tried multiple methods
of starting Orca. Used both a 4-year-old Lenovo laptop and an 8-year-old
Dell. Fortunately I have an old F25 ISO, and that works fine on both
laptops, aside from it being F25 of course. Not only does Orca not work, but
the volume keys don't provide audible feedback either (but they don't under
F25.)

I'm wondering if there's a new screen that appears before the desktop is
fully loaded. I have enough light perception to sometimes tell if screen
contents have changed drastically, and trying to launch gnome-terminal from
the initial screen I get doesn't seem to trigger any of that. So I'm
wondering if perhaps I have to log in or some other silliness.

Thanks.