[orca-list] Did something change on the Fedora ISOs?

I can't seem to get sound, and thus Orca, running on Fedora 27 ISOs. Tried with both F27 Workstation and F27 Atomic Workstation. Tried multiple methods of starting Orca. Used both a 4-year-old Lenovo laptop and an 8-year-old Dell. Fortunately I have an old F25 ISO, and that works fine on both laptops, aside from it being F25 of course. Not only does Orca not work, but the volume keys don't provide audible feedback either (but they don't under F25.)

I'm wondering if there's a new screen that appears before the desktop is fully loaded. I have enough light perception to sometimes tell if screen contents have changed drastically, and trying to launch gnome-terminal from the initial screen I get doesn't seem to trigger any of that. So I'm wondering if perhaps I have to log in or some other silliness.

Thanks.