Re: [orca-list] New to list...got questions

Howdy,

You can have a very light setup that is pretty fast, even on minimal hardware. My setup uses ratpoison, which
works similar to screen. If you have any experience with screen and the console, you will be right at home
using ratpoison pretty quickly.

The default dialogs in ratpoison are not accessible with orca though. I have written a script to make things
work better. It replaces the inaccessible parts of ratpoison with GTK dialogs. You can get the script from:
https://github.com/stormdragon2976/strychnine

Just run the script and follow the instructions. You can even choose the key that acts as the ratpoison menu
key. In my case, I use control+escape.

A few gotchas, ratpoison is not a full desktop, there is no panel, there are no desktop shortcuts, just a
blank screen. Each program is ran fullscreen. Without my script, you will have to change programs manually by
pressing rp and either n for next or p for previous. You could also select by number, so 0 for the first
program you opened, 1 for the second, etc. My script adds the ability to use alt+tab and alt+shift_tab to
move through opened apps.

As for browsers, possibly Midori. It is a bit quirky, but very light. Maybe if someone wrote an orca script
for it it may work better, but I'm not sure.

If you decide to give ratpoison and my script a try, let me know if it works for you. You can see all the
keybindings with rp+?. If you have questions I'll try my best to help with them. I can talk via email or
mumble.

HTH,
Storm