---------- Preposlaná správa ----------
Od: "B. Henry" <burt1iband gmail com>
Dátum: 22. 10. 2017 10:32 AM
Predmet: Re: [orca-list] Monitoring my line-in? Can it be done?
Komu: "Peter Vágner" <pvdeejay gmail com>
Kópia:

I always recommend making a copy of your whole ~/.config/pulse directory and your asound.state file before making any significant or experimental
changes, always good to have a copy of your optimised sound configuration anyway in case of corruption which I've seen happen repeatedly on some
hardware, most notably a sony netbook.
I'd do something like
open a terminal with control alt t in most distros/desktops, or logging in to a tty console by pressing control alt plus some function key, f1-6 in
Ubuntu and friends, f2 to 7 last time I used F123 and or manjaro, maybe fedora as well, and writing your username, press enter and then your pw and
enter.
Then run
mkdir Backups
cp -rf .config/pulse
now you can get known to be working sound settings back by copying that pulse directory back in to place and restarting pulseaudio or rebooting.
cp -rf Backups/pulse .config
Depending on your configuration on some hardware you can enable loopback with alsamixer even if you are using pulse.
Put speakup in cursoring off mode to read alsamixer, and to cut through confusion , at least in the beginning use review keys  to read levels and what
is what while you count how many sliders you have moved with the left and right arrow keys.
On the machine where I can enable loopback mixing via alsamixer I think it was the laaast control to the right in the default alsamixer view, i.e. how
it opens.
Some machines can do almost notahing with alsamixer if they are using pulse.
Got to run, but that should give you the basics along with the other posts in this conversation. Remember that google is your friend. Most questions I
need ato answer if not very specific to accessiblity get answered somewhere or in multriple places on the first page of google search results. I do set
things up to get 30 results per page usually, so if you only get ten you might need the 2nd page from time to time, but between sites found on
cybercity.biz, howtogeek etc, the Ubuntu and Arch wikis, and some of the forums like stackoverflow, askubuntu and stackexchange there's a ton of help
around for beginners to experts.
In the beginning more man pages are confusing compared with those that are easy to understand and helpful, but many are so well written that l a lot of
people will be able to easily follow even in their first Linux sessions. It is a good idea to at least take a quick look at the manpage for any software
you are using for the first time and/or not knowledgable about. More and more of them will start to make sense, but like anything else one must start
out crawling, then try to walk, and eventually run.
A big help when looking for all kinds of info, but especially answers to computer related questions is surfraw.
Google it, install it, and give it a try. I mosgtly use textbased browsers for those computer questions. I Prefer elinks, but lynx is faster to get
configured for best accessiblity as it comes with a configuration file you can just copy in to place.
I  can send you an optimised elinks configuration file if you want to go that route, and although it's usually less efficient for the kind of searches
I'm talking aobut you can certainly use firefox or any browser you like with sr.
Oh, make aliases to call surfraw wit less typing, e.g.
alias srg='sr google'
If you have a ~/.bash_aliases file then put this somewhere in there, and if you don't have such a beast hyet you can put some aliases in ~/.bashrc.
Note the leading period "."  i.e. yo will not see these files in your filemanagers unless you enable the display of "hiddewn" files in your view menu or
prefferences or both depending on filemanager and version.
With that alias I just type something like
srg What is new in firefox56?
If you use much oof any punctuation other than . ? and ,  you want to put yhour question in quotes.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 10:03:28PM +0200