Re: [orca-list] Monitoring my line-in? Can it be done?

Hello,

Yes it's doable.

First you do need to load module-loopback into your pulseaudio. I've found some other ubuntu fellow doing that years ago, so here is his article: https://thelinuxexperiment.com/pulseaudio-monitoring-your-line-in-interface/

Once your loopback module is loaded you can just go to Settings -> Sound, or you can open Sound settings from the system menu on the top bar, or you can use search to find Sound.
Once the sound settings are showing use the tab key to navigate. Once you land on the output tab, switch to the input tab by pressing right arrow key. Now tab into a table with the input device selection, choose the corresponding line in input in there, tab more to the slider where you can set its volume. Tab more to the toggle button to unmute, shift+tab back to the volume slider so you can now fine tune the volume.

There is a commandline app called pacmd as a part of the pulseaudio which can be used from the terminal in case you are not looking for a graphical way on how to manipulate default source output selection and setting its volume. With that you can also create a script you might be able to assign to a simple keyboard shortcut. So if it works fine for you and you need more try reading pacmd --help or ask for more hints.

Please note as you are switching device selection in one of the tables either on the Output tab or on the Input tab, Pulseaudio changes the active device on the fly, setting it as the default also routing all active streams to the new device being selected. So depending on your audio setup you may get no sound when changing default device or its profile on the Output tab. If you are afraid, please do ask sighted help to assist. Or keep sshd running so you can troubleshoot from another machine if you inadvertently disable your sound.
Alternatively you might be able to reset your sound configuration by:
killing pulseaudio - running pulseaudio -k in the terminal
removing pulseaudio configuration - running rm -Rf ~/.config/pulse in the terminal
and starting the pulseaudio -- pulseaudio --start

Greetings

Peter

OK, so here's the abridged short version of the story.

Due to very convoluted reasons which, don't worry, I won't bore you with, I have to use my line in jack on my desktop machine for monitoring a certain source which I always have patched to my PC.

This is not a matter of guesswork. It's not even a recording audio thing. I'm basically running a device through line in to provide a source to hear it through my speakers. We'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, In Windows, I obviously can unute the playback on my line in, and therefore monitor anything coming into that jack.

Without physically recording, is there a way that I can monitor my line in jack on Ubuntu 16.04 much the same way? The main reason I'm really hesitant to blow Windows off this machine entirely is because I cannot afford to lose my line in monitoring. If! provided this is possible, then, I seriously may consider installing on this box. I just need to make double dog sure!

Chris.