[orca-list] Monitoring my line-in? Can it be done?

OK, so here's the abridged short version of the story.

Due to very convoluted reasons which, don't worry, I won't bore you with, I have to use my line in jack on my desktop machine for monitoring a certain source which I always have patched to my PC.

This is not a matter of guesswork. It's not even a recording audio thing. I'm basically running a device through line in to provide a source to hear it through my speakers. We'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, In Windows, I obviously can unute the playback on my line in, and therefore monitor anything coming into that jack.

Without physically recording, is there a way that I can monitor my line in jack on Ubuntu 16.04 much the same way? The main reason I'm really hesitant to blow Windows off this machine entirely is because I cannot afford to lose my line in monitoring. If! provided this is possible, then, I seriously may consider installing on this box. I just need to make double dog sure!

Chris.