Re: [orca-list] Rearranging Thunderbird columns

Unless something has changed in the last couple or three years this can not be done. It was possible I have
been told, but not easy with one or more
windows screenreaders, but I never got around to experimenting to see how reliable and accessible l it was
and I assume still is as I like t-bird's data
ordering, and while I sometimes do support a windows user, I use windows on average about once a year  to do
something that I can not do well if at all
in Liux, (sometimes another time or two to look at some software that I've heard about, update everything so
I don't have to bother with this so much
when I really do want or need to use that OS, or to refresh my memory about something I am trying to help
someone with)...
It would be done with simulated mouse clicks, but as I recall one is focusing on what appears to be white
space between the columns.
I don't think orca could do this on its own, but perhaps ocr-desktop could make this task doable for us blind
Linux folk.
If you have not heard about ocr-desktop, it is a nice little app that works a bit like the NVEDA or jaws OCR
add-ons.
OCR-desktop isn't an orca extension or plug-in, but it is made for use with orca. You just take a snapshot of
your window, and then can read and or
interact with the text that has been convertedl with the same ocr engine that the nvda plug-in uses.
The program's developer is an active list member, so perhaps he can comment on whether or not he thinks the
column reordering is doable.
I think that ocr-desktop has some drag and drop functionality now, but maybe I dreamed this. It is a great
little program, but I've not used it all that
much and am not an expert in its use.
I do not think I have the latest OCR desktop on this vinux box, not even sure I have it here at all now, but
I do keep it up to date on my arch-linuc
machine, so I'll try and remember to take a quick look if I stay awake long enough to get around  to bootinig
in to arch before I sleep.
Hopefully someone else has more experience with ocr-desktop and the time to experiment a bit. If you are a
mouse user perhaps orca gives enoug feedback
to guide you to the column(s) you want to use. I never really got the hang of touchpad and mouse use, but I
bet someone who regularly used a mouse and
then lost site could do this with out too much frustration, well better said I guess, not sure enough about
it to be in to betting...lol.
Good luck, and if I figure anything out I'll post again.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 06:46:26PM -0400

   I'm honestly not a huge fan of Thunderbird displaying the subject before
   the sender name.

   Is there a way I can accessibly and reliably without sighted help drag
   those columns around, or somehow reorder them? I'd rather it be like
   Outlook, where it's read status like unread, read, etc, then the sender's
   name, then finally the subject, rather than subject, then user's name.

   Chris.