Re: [orca-list] lightdm not speaking if pulseaudio is started sydtem wide

Hello

Le 06/11/2017 à 07:01, Peter Vágner a écrit :
I've added lightdm user into audio group that made sound working inside a
greeter session on my slint install.

It worked here as well, indeed.

So that was actually a PEBCAK case! Thanks Peter.

I think slint is one of the very few if not only one to run pulseaudio
system wide.
I don't know if we might be able to reliably kill the pulse audio on logout
by using its init script to allow it to run in user mode though.

Maybe, but we would need to handle runlevel 3 as well as 4, in other
words using lightdm as well as using startx.

Or, we could try using alsa directly as other distributions do.
But I would need help to do that properly, as I am not acquainted
with the audio subsystems.

On the other hand I have asked on the brltty mailing list if there
was a high security risk in starting pulseaudio system wide, and
was answered "not very big", cf. these posts:
https://brltty.com/pipermail/brltty/2017-September/015255.html
https://brltty.com/pipermail/brltty/2017-September/015257.html

What do you think?

Greetings,

Didier

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 6. 11. 2017 12:04 AM používateľ "Didier Spaier" <didier slint fr>
napísal:

Hello,

I am trying to include lightdm in upcoming Slint64-14.2.1.

But if pulseaudio is started system wide, which I need to provide speech
both in text and graphical modes, lightdm doesn't speak. However, as I
checked running htop in tty2, orca is started by lightm-gtk-greeter,
with the same layout of processes as when pulseaudio is not started, in
which case lightdm speaks.

The issue is only with lightdm, I have speech in the session it starts.

I am probably missing the obvious and I assume that's a PEBCAK case, but
still I am out of idea, as an internet search about this specific issue
came empty.

I am under the impression that it had spoken then ceased to speak but am
unable to find which change could ĥave caused this regression.

So I'd be glad to any clue, thing to check or how to investigate.

Greetings,

Didier