Re: [orca-list] Trouble getting Braille from Orbit XX and Ubuntu 17.10

Hello,

Le 06/11/2017 à 00:05, David Hunt a écrit :
I have the brltty service enabled, and the Orbit's usb connection
enabled in the HID mode, as suggested in the manual for the device.
 I enabled braille support in orca, as well.  On rebooting the
machine, with the braille unit running and connected, no braille ever
appears on display.  In case it matters, I have the Orbit's emulation
enabled; this mode is supposed to make the Orbit be recognized as a
Refreshabraile 18.

Caveat: I don't know Ubuntu nor the specific stuff you mention. Still
some generic hints, that's all I can propose.

In brltty.conf, is one of the following lines un-commented?
#api-parameters Auth=keyfile:/etc/brlapi.key    # Require authentication key
#api-parameters Auth=user:joe           # Allow some local user
#api-parameters Auth=group:brl          # Allow some local group
#api-parameters Auth=polkit             # authenticate via Polkit
#api-parameters Host=:0                 # Accept only local Unix connections
#api-parameters Host=0.0.0.0:0          # Accept any internet connection.

If not, a keyfile is the default. Then:
Do you have a file /etc/brlapi.key?
What are its owner and permissions?
For instance here it is owned by root:braille and 0640, which makes it
accessible by the members of the group braille.

Also, do you have all needed packages installed? For instance in Unbuntu
I see that the Python bindings for brltty are shipped in a separate
package named python3-brlapi.

Greetings,

Didier