Re: [orca-list] suggestion: add sounds for entering/exiting browse and focus modes, turning on and off orca

Yes, and I think I made this clear in my first post.
I lean toward using sound icons as the default, but have no strong feelings about that. The options should
certainly be there for the verbal msg that we
have now, the proposed sound icon, and they should be checkboxes so that one can enable one, both or none.
Someone, maybe me, would enable both for a while until the meaning of the sound icon is well remembered, and
then the verbal msg could be disabled.
I and others have been supporters of having some useful sound icons in Orca, and I really do think this can
be a valuable productivity enhancement
for many users. There is a limit to how many events can  be practically handled this way, and of course only
some types of information are efficiently
communicated with sound icons to begin with.
Some day perhaps there could be a way to add custom sounds to other events and or to replace other messages,
those that most users would probaly not
want to use, but this would need to be tucked away in an advanced settings tab or something, or handled in
customizations.py. This last idea would be
pretty low priority in my opinion, but just throwing it out there for folks to think about.
While I certaily want orca to be very flexible/configurable, I think cluttered or overly complicated
prefferences need to be avoided. Lean, mean, and
clean are good watch words I reckon.
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Christopher Chaltain wrote:
Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 09:37:46AM -0600

This is true, but this is why it should be configurable. I'd switch
to sounds myself, but I'd still want others to be able to use words.