Re: [orca-list] need explaination why orca stop speaking when application is not responding

You need to start checking memory and cpu usage.
You can usually do this from a CLI console even if your gui is frozen, or probably just does not have the
system resources to do anything for a while.
Browsers can use a huge amount of memory on some pages, and the only thing to do is wait, can be minutes.
From the console you can kill applications,
and killing firefox is the best solution I've found when it is the program causing the problem. Of course at
times you can just close a tab, and often
restarting Orca will get speech back as long as you are not maxing out your processor and or memory.
Even if you are not using the commandline, keep at least one console ready for emergencies and trouble
shooting.
Good tools to use are top, I can share a good configuration file that is a bit more speech friendly than the
default one, pkill, killall, and a similar
tool I made for myself called kp, smem, (probably need to install it), etc.
The ps command is another one I think most of us learn to use sooner or later, and of course some of the text
filtering tools to parse output from other
programs and commands such as grep are a must.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Amir wrote:
Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 06:44:40PM +0800

hi,

sorry if this has been asked before. i am experiencing almost
everyday, crash with the mozilla applications, thunderbird/firefox.
for firefox, sometimes just opening the mobile facebook causes
crash. i booted up this machine, then open firefox, without opening
media players/email/etc, then go to addressbar and type
m.facebook.com, enter, and let it load, then silent. but sometimes
only. and in linux, at least in my system, when an app crashes,
especially mozilla applications, no way to fix it, the keyboard is
locked, press the keys to adjust the media volume did nothing,
meaning it is locked. but sometimes it still speaking, sometimes alt
tab away and back to it, it will only read the title of the
application, but it is hard to get that thing in this pc. normally
when the app crashes, orca silent. but ctrl+alt+t to open terminal
works, i know by pressing the backspace key and sonar beeps. but
that thing will never happen if mozilla applications crashes, only
power button fixes it. but i think it is not orca's fault, the
firefox is causing issue i think. So why orca cannot speak if the
application crashes, does the thing that orca relies on crashes as
well? or maybe it is happening only on my system?

2gb ram, 2ghz processor, sonar mate 2016.7. orca 3.22.2.

so why orca stop from speaking when applications are not responding?