Re: [orca-list] Setting up Orca on ArchLinux

I've never used gnome on Arch, but have spent at least a couple of months each using xfce and mate, probably
more like 3 or 4 months each before
settling on a custom GUI environment built around fluxbox.
I've also tried one of the lightest posible accessible graphical solutions, ratpoison.
Personally I have always preferred starting my graphical interface with the startx command that I have
aliased to GUI which I usually start with the alt
g shell hotkey, i.e. a binding set up ini /etc/inputrc.
That being said, one can have a DM start their GUI automatically at boot time, and most if not all display
managers allow one to skip a log-on screen,
and systemd has its own way of startinig tty sessions with out the need of entering a username and PW.
The bottom line is that if you have no security concerns you could just push your power button, have a VT
console start on its own, and then using a
systemd unit file start a DM, slim does not talk but other blind folk tell  me it is light and stable, with
out asking for user creds to launch the GUI
environment of your choice.
I'm considering experimenting with slim or siimilar myself as a few apps are no longer stsarting as reliably
as they used to using the fluxbox startup
file and a couple of settings added to .xinitrc, the atk bridge  being the most important.
Also make sure no matter what desktop you will use that you have your qt-accessibility file in
/etc/profile.d, and a copy of the gtk accessiblity
module settings there as well. I'll attach the two files I'm talking about, just copy the gtk stuff in to
.xinitrc if you have one in your $HOME
directory. The qt stuff seems to install by default with qt4, not sure if one had no qt4 i.e. only qt5 pkgs
if it'd be there or not, thinking not.
Here is the gtkk accessibility stuff, should not be needing a manual set up with gnome and mate as far as I
know, but won't hurt to have it.

export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
Put this above your exec lines in .xinitrc if you are making such a file.
I'm' really busy, so likely won't be checking this list much for a few more weeks,  but best of lulck, and
hope to see you here when I get back from my
digital media fast.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jeanette C. wrote:
Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 08:08:25AM +0200

Hi Austin,
Aug 19 2017, Austin Seraphin has written:
$ startx > x.log 2>&1

You'll also find a log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
I knew about that log file, but didn't think to grab the output of
startx directly.

Two additional questions:
1. Should I run startx best as the user which will log in?
2. Can I get a desktop directly, or will I always have to go through a
login screen?

Best wishes and thanks,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
(Britney Spears)