Re: [orca-list] Setting up Orca on ArchLinux

Is xorg its own group like gnome and gnome-extra are or are all xorg packages in some different group?

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017, Peter V?gner wrote:

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 12:56:51
From: Peter V?gner <pvdeejay gmail com>
To: Jeanette C. <julien mail upb de>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Setting up Orca on ArchLinux

Hello,

It looks you now have mate running.
I think I have a few comments in regard to your original question about
gnome.
There are multiple ways you can launch a desktop enviromment two most
common are that you can use xinit (running startx) command and the other is
to use display manager started manually while setting things up and started
as a systemd service when you have got it setup to your liking.
However even before figuring out how to start your desktop enviromment you
might check if you have got installed all the packages usefull for running
graphical desktop X.org and stuff...
Since Mate is working for you and Gnome is not or you are not sure it might
be that you might be lacking user space drivers for your graphic card. See
Driver installation part of the XOrg article on the Arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Driver_installation . If you have
fairy recent onboard intel graphic, I think you have nothing to install as
falling to kernel mode-setting driver is recommended. If you would like to
read more on this, see Intel graphic article:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics I think you now should
have xorg-server and xorg-xinit and your xf86-<something> driver if you do
have other than intel based graphic card on your system.
If you wish to start gnome via xinit then you can do the following
$ cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
Edit ~/.xinitrc removing default apps such as xterm, xclock, twm and
similar tweaking the exec line to start gnome
exec gnome-session
Now when you run startx gnome will launch on the tty where you have run
startx from. Once gnome is running you can press alt+super+s to start /
stop orca.
Another way is to start gnome by using its display manager gdm. Running
systemctl start gdm as root or via sudo will start gdm and the greeter
session showing login screen will be started on the first available tty.
Once login screen is showing you can press alt+super+s to toggle orca. If
it's not running super+alt+s will start it if it's running pressing
super+alt+s will stop it. This is working the same way inn a greeter
session and in a normal X / wayland session after logging in.

Some additional pointers related to the discussion.
There are two gnome related groups gnome and gnome-extra. Orca is in the
gnome-extra group of packages. So If you have just ran
# pacman -S gnome
and you haven't installed orca in another step you might be missing it.
Gnome includes pulseaudio as a hard dependency meaning it requires some
extra effort when you would like to disable it. If you have used
speech-dispatcher on the text only console over alsa or libao or whatever,
you might like to reconfigure it to use pulseaudio when running gnome with
pulseaudio and orca.
On Arch linux since xorg 1.18 or so xorg-server is not running as root but
as the logged in user when gnome is started via GDM instead. So to see its
output you need to look into ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log.

If you run spd-say on a text console it will spawn a copy of
speech-dispatcher if none is running by the logged in user what will in
turn spawn pulseaudio if speech-dispatcher is configured to output via
pulseaudio. So if you are used to use different users for logging to pure
text console and for graphical sessions don't run spd-say or any other app
that might spawn pulseaudio before running gnome. I know this sounds
complicated so if you are unsure please just ask more.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten something very serious.

Greetings

Peter

Hi Austin,
thanks for the tip. Mate works, as good as. Orca sometimes won't react. I
have used orca --replace a few times.

Question: where can I best find a comprehensive list of Mate keyboard
shortcuts and other keyboard control elements? Inside Mate I do have
problems. Partly due to Orca's freezing and my ineptitude with Mate as such.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

I know you're out there and I know that you still care <3

(Britney Spears)
nome-help/stable/a11y.html