Re: [orca-list] Evelution crashing in sonar mate with latest orca master.

Hey Matthew.

If Evolution is crashing, an Orca debug.out won't help much, if at all.
What debug.out is for is to determine what events Orca received and how
Orca processed them. In other words, it answers questions like "Why did
Orca not say something when I did such-and-such?" When some other app
crashes, you need to answer "Why did that app crash?" What would
hopefully answer the question is using gdb. You'll want to do the following:

1. Install your distro's debugging libraries for Evolution. (Ask the
   sonar people how to do so if you don't know.)
2. Quit Evolution if it's already running.
3. Get into a terminal, type 'script' and press return. This will
   capture terminal input and output into a file.
4. Type 'gdb evolution' then press return.
5. At the gdb prompt, type 'run' then press return.
6. Make evolution crash. Note the the window won't go away, it will
   just stop responding.
6. Switch back to the terminal and you should find a gdb prompt.
   Type 'bt full' and press return.
7. Press Ctrl+D to quit gdb. If prompted, type 'y' to quit and press
   return.
8. At the terminal prompt, press Ctrl+D to end script. You should
   be told that Script is done, file is typescript.
9. The file named 'typescript' should contain the gdb stacktrace.
   Depending on where the failure is (Evolution, Gtk+, something else)
   you can file a bug against that component.

If you would like me to look at the stacktrace before you file a bug,
please send it to me.

Thanks!
--joanie