Re: [orca-list] oddity with some search fields

I've also seen this and have, frankly, wondered what this could mean.

Is the "combobox" nature some sort of auto completion? Is that what
"combo" means in this context? I haven't stopped to try and figure that
out.

My general experience with autocompletes is that the machine is more
often wrong than right, but your mileage may vary, of course.

Janina

kendell clark writes:
hi all
I'm writing in to report some strangeness with some search fields on
websites. Steps to reproduce: go to either www.walmart.com or
www.google.com. Orca reports both search fields as a combo box, but
enters focus mode correctly for you to enter text in. I'm wondering if
this might be changed to something like ... editable combo box maybe or
combo box entry ... I'm not sure what a good name would be for it. THe
problem is, I'm not sure if there's a way for orca to distinguish
between normal combo boxes and these search field ones. Orca works with
the fields just fine, it's just a bit odd. Can anyone else confirm this?
Also, the shortcut for going to the next entry doesn't work on these
fields, you need to use the shortcut to jump to the next combo box. I'm
guessing there's not much that can be done since it depends on how the
website was coded, but just thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks
Kendell Clark