[orca-list] orca and gdm

I installed on archlinux gnome and gnome-extra along with dependencies earlier. I exported on start gail and atk-spi in /etc/profile.d/ with a gtkaccess.sh script. I ran gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications screen-reader-enabled true on command line, then
systemctl enable gdm.service as sudo root and then I reboot the computer.
Orca said screen reader on, then went silent.
Do I need to set anything to get gdm to give me a talking login, and will I need to set more variables to make orca work after login? If we can't figure this out here, I'll get sighted assistance to examine my screen and tell me what is showing up on that screen and maybe with the additional information get this straightened out. Originally I was going to run startx to take me into gnome and I had installed xorg-xinit to that end but that isn't talking yet either.