Re: [orca-list] will Orca work on a pi with Ubuntu 16.04?

Orca will work on Raspbian Mate but you must use a USB audio dongle
otherwise it stutters because of the espeak tts problem with the DMA
alsa driver.  A problem I have been reporting to the RPI Foundation off
and on for over a year.

I wrote OpenMAX audio code to render audio directly on the GPU for
SpeakUp.  That too fixes the stuttering because it doesn't use the ALSA
driver.

Of course if you can fix the way pulse messes up audio in the console
when speech-dispatcher starts up pulse then you can use USB audio in the
console as well.

Don't change speech-dispatcher to ALSA because the sd_espeak module
regularly crashes and gets unloaded.  I think this *may* be connected
with the recently reported alsa-lib problem but it has been happeing for
a while.

I have never run Ubuntu but no reason why it should not run on there too.

To change USB audio to the deffault on recent Raspbians edit:

/lib/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

And comment out:

options snd-usb-audio index=-1

Or something like that.  It might be =-2, can't remember.

When that is commented out USB audio will be the default.

If you can bear console audio coming out of the nalaogue or HDMI ports
and GUI audio from the USB dongle you can install my OMX audio driver
and a modified espeakup called piespeakup:

git clone http://github.com/cromarty/ttsprojects.git

And you will find it in:

ttsprojects/raspberry-pi/libilctts

And instructions on how to build and install it somewhere in there.

Mike