Re: [orca-list] accessibility badly broken in unity top panel

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:47:04PM CEST, Krishnakant wrote:
Just being curious, if Unity has the issue, then why is it that 3.18 series
of Orca works fine with current Unity?

Because Orca underwent changes in the way it worked with and retrieved
information about accessible objects from applications.

And How long will it take to fix this?  is it a very tricky issue (I guessed

I don't know. I need to identify the commit in Orca that changed the
behavior, and then look at the way the top panel is being presented
accessibility wise. I will then have to write a custom script for Orca
to work with the unity panel service, which is responsible for the top
panel. I will not be wanting to change Orca, because Orca is doing things
correctly, and without going into too much detail, I'll just say that the
Unity panel service is not doing things correctly.

so because different version of Orca are giving different results ).
Will the fix be available in Ubuntu updates, or will we need the PPA to get
the fix?

The fix will not be in Ubuntu updates, because Orca 3.20 will not be entering
into Ubuntu 16.04, so it will be available in the PpA, along with orca 3.20.

No idea when it will be done. I have other things on my plate as well,
and some of those are more urgent. Orca 3.18 works ok with Unity,
and that is what is in 16.04. If you really must have the latest Orca,
then consider running another desktop environment or even distro, or deal
with the problems that updating Orca brings when working with a desktop
environment other than the latest GNOME release.

Luke