Re: [orca-list] Idea for Orca speech settings and speech-dispatcher

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:25:15AM AEST, Storm Dragon wrote:
Howdy,
One thing that has been asked for, and caused quite a bit of debate, is
the ability to directly make orca talk. This would be useful in self-voicing
applications. you could do something like orca-controler "Hello world" and
Orca would say "hello world". A lot of people feel this is not the place
of the screen reader. This may be true, but, there is still the problem
of getting self-voicing apps to speak with the same settings used by the
screen reader. Things like voice, varient, speech rate, etc.
I got to thinking about it, and it does make sense to just send this stuff
through speech-dispatcher. The problem is, usually speech-dispatcher settings
do not match Orca settings. So, my idea is, to make speech-dispatcher
have different speech profiles. I guess this would need to be filed as a
feature request for both Orca and Speech-dispatcher. If Speech-dispatcher
could support speech profiles, and if Orca could write speech settings
to a speech-dispatcher profile, a lot of this could be solved. So then,
someone calling speech-dispatcher to speak could do something like:
spd-say --profile orca "hello world"

I think this is a great idea. It has been raised in the past, and I have
given it some thought, although not in great detail. It would require
some work, particularly given that the client borrowing its settings
from Orca for example, would have to monitor any settings changes made by
Orca. This monitoring would be server side, so clients wouldn't have to
do any extra work.

Luke