[orca-list] Idea for Orca speech settings and speech-dispatcher

Howdy,
One thing that has been asked for, and caused quite a bit of debate, is the ability to directly make orca talk. This would be
useful in self-voicing applications. you could do something like orca-controler "Hello world" and Orca would say
"hello world". A lot of people feel this is not the place of the screen reader. This may be true, but, there is still
the problem of getting self-voicing apps to speak with the same settings used by the screen reader. Things like voice, varient,
speech rate, etc.
I got to thinking about it, and it does make sense to just send this stuff through speech-dispatcher. The
problem is, usually speech-dispatcher settings do not match Orca settings. So, my idea is, to make
speech-dispatcher have different speech profiles. I guess this would need to be filed as a feature request
for both Orca and Speech-dispatcher. If Speech-dispatcher could support speech profiles, and if Orca could
write speech settings to a speech-dispatcher profile, a lot of this could be solved. So then, someone calling
speech-dispatcher to speak could do something like:
spd-say --profile orca "hello world"
and it would use Orca's speech settings to speak through speech-dispatcher. Of course, Orca would have
probably 3 profiles, orca, orca-link, and orca-uppercase.
Also, the ability to create profiles with spd-conf would be nice too. If, for example, you had one called
audiogames you could select it in anything that supported the speech-dispatcher profile list.
What do y'all think of this? It sounds awesome to me, and seems like it would solve a lot of problems and
make speech-dispatcher completely awesome. But, I am the one who came up with the idea lol.
Thanks
Storm