Re: [orca-list] Orca's New GUI Interface

I hope it is not only you and I who must use an old orca version to access our primary machine, but I for now
anyway would not want to abandon my
fluxbox on arch, nor stop  trying to make this viable on Debian and Ubuntu/vinux, Manjaro/F123 and other
distros as time permits so that I can
eventually  pass this along to others who are not comfortable doing a lot of customization, i.e. make meta
packages that can be easily  instaled by a
novice user.
There could, and probably would eventually come a point where I'd be forced to use one of the gnomeish
Desktops, gnome, mate or unity because real
orca functionality advancements would outway my overall GUI experience, but this seems like a large step
backwards to gain what seems to be more of a
philosophical improvement.
Of course the interface itself can be changed with out requiring a move of orca prefs to an OS control
center, and in that case Im certainly open to
evaluating something new, but it'd have to be clearly more intuitive and or efficient to justify a change,
and I've never found Orca's prefference
window difficult to use or understand.
Two changes have improved orca interface for me since I started using Linux. One was not showing the prefs
window by default, and the other only was
translation specific, i.e. in Spanish two tabs used to have the same name and thus could be a bit confusing
to someone brand new to orca.
One of the biggest advances in Linux accessibility
 in my opiion has been the greater range of usable graphical interfaces. It was gnome or bust when I started
out, or at least that was what I thought. I
think some people were using window managers with out a full blown Desktop environment, and probably with
some fairly easy minor hacks LXDE on knopix
could have been better than it appeared out of the box.
I appreciate the interest and work that Chrys is putting in to interface design, and will say that just
because something ain't broke does not mean that
something better can't be made, but at least for me there is certainly no rush to see a prototype as there is
no necesitty nor urgency to replace what
we have.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:11:01PM +0200

Dear users,
My opinion will be very probably strange for somebody of us, but I think,
that redesigning GUI of Orcais nod neededat all.
Because Orcaenable users to add hod key to all its functions and I do not
think, that it is good idea to overload Joan with rewriting Python code
because of GUI. There is according to my opinion much more complex matter to
solve. As many of us know, Orcais being tried and used by many users with
several desktop environments and also with various window managers. Fluxbox,
Marco, Metacity, and some others GTK compatible.
As many of us very probably know, with every major release of Gnome, new
at-spi ifnrastructure is released. Try to remember on big Orca
reconstruction when gnome 3.0 havebeen released.
In other words, i would agree to play with GUI if it would be made by uwith
Anjutaor Glade. So it would not be so complex for Python developers to
redesign it.

I can not help my self, Ido not have problems with existing Tabbed
interface. But lets discuss, it is only my opinion and I Am ready on The
possibility, that I will stay with it alone in this list.