Re: [orca-list] Podcasts and/or audio tutorials needed

I agree.
There could be an intro podcast thatwould cover the necesary basic theory, how to start orca from the dash or
run dialog in case it is not auto starting
and keyboard shortcut is not working either, and how to configure orca's basic settings. Generic bindings
that are found on all three of the desktops
you mention could also be covered.
Then desktop specific podcasts could be made, and as people have time and interest/motivation more advanced
topics could be added covering how to get
the most out of firefox, more advanced orca customizations and so forth and so on.
As far as installation and other things that are distro specific I thik those would bew reasonable to include
in this podcast feed, but those should b
done  by an experienced user of the distro in question, posibly along with someone who is new to that distro
who might have questions and or comments
that the experienced user would not even think about because they are 2nd nature.
From what I've read I think paldo and talking arch both have audio tutorials on installation, not sure about
any others. While if the energy is there as
I say above this could be done as part of an orca podcast series, or a general Linux accessability series,
but this could and probably should be done by
folks involved with each distro's documentation and or development teams. As such audio tutorials become
available they could belinked to as external
resources.
There is a pretty wide range of things that could be demoed when and if people are up to it, e.g. a podcast
on working with text that could cover
everything from basic cut and paste, to appending to the clipboard, working with more advanced clipboard
programs, selecting and copying from flat
review and converting between document formats. Another topic that jumps out at me is advanced thunderbird
configuration, i.e. setting up filters and
encryption. Pidgin is mostly straight forward, but has a lot of available features that some users may not
notice for a long time.
Something to remember however is that while one can demo each key stroke used to work with a particular bit
of software the user should be encouraged to
explore and experiment. Giving tips on how to search for Linux related information and answer ones own
questions using searches, man and info pages and
so forth should also be woven in to the podcasts. Good practices like always backing up configuration files
before changing things should be brought up,
and for that matter options for doing complete system backups sounds like another podcast or two that should
be made. If someone enjoys doing this kind
of thing there's plenty to keep them busy for a while.
I mentioned in another message the usefulness of interpersonal dynamics in teaching and demonstrations. The
back and forth between two people can often
hold a listener's attention more than a single person, and a free flow of dialog can add amore natural easy
to listen to feel to the presentation that
might include humor and distinct perspectives that will make for a podcast that is both more educational and
more entertaining.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 11:15:34PM -0500

hi
Personally, I'd focus on all of the desktop environments that are
accessible enough for an average blind user. That would include gnome,
mate, and unity. I think the first thing to cover would be to explain
just what a desktop environment is, because most blind people are
accustomed to windows or mac, where what you get is what you get, you
can't choose which desktop you use. Then we'd focus on how to use each
desktop, how to navigate the menus, how to change settings, that sort of
thing. I do plan to cover booting live images, but as you say, and you
are right that booting can be a rabbit hole. This is mostly because
computers are not at all standardized. On one computer it might boot the
cd or usb drive with no trouble, and on another it might need to be done
by accessing a boot menu or going into the bios. This is true regardless
of platform, linux, windows, or mac but most people are accustomed to
turning their computer on and their OS loading, so they tend to
attribute problems to being the fault of linux, when it's not. I don't
know what to do about that. I can explain, but if people refuse to
listen to the explanations, instead choosing to think that there
platform is better there's not much I can do. My first order of business
is to figure out just how to make a recording like this. Recording
myself is easy. The challenging part is going to be figuring out how to
record the speech coming out of the vm. Pulse can do this, but I'm not
at all sure how. My goal is to make good quality, easy to understand
podcasts that an average nvda using windows user can follow.
Thanks
Kendell clark